Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Manifesto for a Heart

She looked at me and smiled. I could not smile back. I could not give her what she wanted.

BECAUSE I want you.

BECAUSE I must follow my heart, for if I do not, I am nothing and have nothing.

BECAUSE I love you.

BECAUSE you asked me to.

BECAUSE it is agonizing.

BECAUSE of trust.

BECAUSE I can't be heart broken.

BECAUSE of my soul.

BECAUSE I feel this in every ounce of my bones.

BECAUSE of the 10 things I live for.

BECAUSE of love.

BECAUSE of Mulholland drive.

BECAUSE of babies.

BECAUSE of the yellow sweatshirt.

BECAUSE your eyes with that hat.

BECAUSE of Marriage and Five Guys.

BECAUSE of Bessie and Hugh.

BECAUSE of the electric tape on my fingers.

BECAUSE it's you and me.

BECAUSE of the feelings.

BECAUSE of freshman, sophomore and junior year.

BECAUSE of harmonic convergence.

BECAUSE of the first time I saw you.

BECAUSE of San Juan Capistrano.

BECAUSE I need you so much closer.

BECAUSE of confusion.

BECAUSE of the future.

BECAUSE today I am okay.

BECAUSE of New York and my little sock.

BECAUSE of the existence of the soul.

BECAUSE I don’t have a choice but I still choose you.

BECAUSE of coming out.

BECAUSE of my strong heart.

BECAUSE you are my north, my south, my east and west, my working week and my Sunday rest.

BECAUSE of Chicago.

BECAUSE you’re on my mind.

BECAUSE I feel it in my bones.

BECAUSE I understand you.

BECAUSE I’ll let you go.

BECAUSE you asked me to.

BECAUSE I’ll never let you go.

BECAUSE you asked me to.

BECAUSE I want you to be happy.

BECAUSE of nine crimes and accidental babies.

BECAUSE I’ll wait.

BECAUSE of dreams.

BECAUSE you taught me how to love.

BECAUSE I am learning how to love you.

BECAUSE of the unconditional.

BECAUSE of Greg Laswell.

BECAUSE where you invest your love, you invest your life.

BECAUSE of holding your hand.

BECAUSE of completeness.

BECAUSE heaven is a place on earth where you tell me all the things you want to do.

BECAUSE of hope.

BECAUSE of love.

BECAUSE you’re beautiful.

BECAUSE of the pain.

BECAUSE I’ll never be embarrassed.

BECAUSE I miss you.

BECAUSE I must face the hours, the minutes, the seconds.

BECAUSE of the hole in my stomach.

BECAUSE of growth.

BECAUSE of whiskey.

BECAUSE of you.

BECAUSE I want to.

BECAUSE you don’t want me to call.

BECAUSE of Long Beach.

BECAUSE the love I give, I give for free.

BECAUSE of happiness.

BECAUSE of 27’s.

BECAUSE of a white picket fence.

BECAUSE this is what I need to do.

BECAUSE you live in me.

BECAUSE I carry you in my heart.

BECAUSE this is what you need.

BECAUSE you asked me to.

BECAUSE of film.

BECAUSE you’re hurting me.

BECAUSE of socks and books in blazers and superficial things.

BECAUSE of freedom.

BECAUSE I choose it.

BECAUSE of your fingertips and Gustavo.

BECAUSE of adolescence.

BECAUSE memories are eternal.

BECAUSE of my fallen heart feeling.

BECAUSE of the hole in your scarf.

BECAUSE I like your lips.

BECAUSE of waiting for a lover while she sleeps.

BECAUSE maybe one day.

BECAUSE forever is a lie I am willing to believe.

BECAUSE I am full up with feeling.

BECAUSE of Christmas.

BECAUSE of Colorblind.

BECAUSE I accept it.

BECAUSE I can’t heal this hurt.

BECAUSE I am the only one who can find my way.

BECAUSE of Say Yes.

BECAUSE I want to be at the end of the road.

BECAUSE sometimes I think I am going to break.

BECAUSE of the back of my mind.

BECAUSE someone may never hear me.

BECAUSE this is what I believe in.

BECAUSE this is what I feel.

BECAUSE of the lines on my fingers.

BECAUSE of Like Crazy.

Just BECAUSE.

BECAUSE of skin.

BECAUSE I have to.

BECAUSE this is all I have to give.

BECAUSE I don’t care if it is stupid.

BECAUSE you might never read this.

BECAUSE this is what I feel.

BECAUSE I can’t make you love me.

BECAUSE I want you to be happy.

BECAUSE I don’t mind being left.

BECAUSE I must be true to my heart.

BECAUSE things are always happening.

BECAUSE of growth.

BECAUSE my thoughts are too loud.

BECAUSE I see you everywhere.

BECAUSE you’re in everything.

BECAUSE of WAIT!

BECAUSE you’re my soul mate.

BECAUSE I cannot be untrue.

BECAUSE of these words on my wrists.

BECAUSE maybe one day you will.

BECAUSE I’m not expecting anything.

BECAUSE your soul is with me.

BECAUSE it might not be enough, but I will let it be.

BECAUSE only you will understand.

BECAUSE of the love that is always between us.

BECAUSE I want you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Though reasons were boundless, reason escaped her."

Or...

"What do you get the girl who had everything?"

But most likely you'll settle for...

"Reaching the top of the stairs to meet him, she realized he'd left out the window."

Brittany said...

ugh. i love you. :/